Something got into the header image of the Pittsfield Library that I use on this blog and corrupted it. The result was that the bottom half of the image had a bilious yellow cast to it. I’m not sure how this came about in the first place, and apparently I didn’t make a local copy of the image, so I have had to re-edit the original image to try to recreate what I had there. If the cropping is off by a couple pixels, that’s what happened. It’s still the same image I’ve been using since I started this particular blog incarnation.

I’m back after last week’s trip to Washington DC. This was a small consulting gig for the EPA, and it’s the second time I’ve done this; I was on a similar panel last September. In aggregate, I think the proposals we reviewed this year were a higher quality than what we had last year. I can’t talk much about the particulars, because it involves confidential reviews of materials that may contain proprietary information and trade secrets. But it is an enjoyable process to take part in, and it gets me exposed to lots of information about building technologies and systems that are outside my area of expertise. One thing I learned this year is that carbon dioxide (CO2) sensors are not cheap nor are they easy to manufacture. Unlike smoke detectors or even carbon monoxide (CO) detectors, CO2 sensors are not available at a cheap, consumer-grade level. To do CO2 monitoring in a building takes some equipment that tends to run in the four figure range.

I also received a copy of Container Atlas: A Practical Guide to Container Architecture which I am planning to review for Inhabitat in the next couple of weeks. It’s a fairly hefty book with both technical information as well as many, many examples of built projects using containers. I’m taking it with me to read through when I take the kids on one last trip before school starts.