I had hoped to have the L/S Shelves installed this weekend. Ideally, the shelves were going to be completed and installed for Thanksgiving, since they had guests coming for the holiday. But with family commitments and other delays, it didn’t work out that way. Fortunately, getting it done for Thanksgiving would have only been a bonus, and not the real deadline for the project, so no one was disappointed.

Instead, we got together on Saturday to get it assembled and see how it looked – at least that was the plan.

The arms and the base went together without problems. I’ve been able to locate stainless steel hardware for all the parts I wanted for this. And I really like the socket head screws (allen head screws) as the connectors. No one (or at least only a very few people) will ever notice them, since they’ll be mostly hidden by the shelves, but I’m glad I went with the more industrial aesthetic.

When Mike got there, he only had one of the four shelves with him, because he had been having trouble with getting the last coats of finish on the shelves. We still set it in place, and were trying to get a sense of how it would all go together, and at least get the cables installed on it when we discovered a problem. While trying to get it level, we were checking various measurements to get the arms even, and the top was not measuring close to the right length. After checking around some more, we discovered that the contractor had built the base as a 5′ wide base, rather than as a 6′ wide base. So, even if he’d brought them all, the shelves wouldn’t match the frame. We discussed the options for how we would go about fixing it. Eventually, it seemed to make sense that keeping it with the smaller base was better for the space, and the two lamps that are eventually to go in on either side of the shelves, as well.

The problem was a change between the preliminary design that was used to get the job quoted and the final drawings with the additional details that I included. The steel fabricator built the base off the preliminary, rather than the final drawings. As a result, Mike is going to adjust the shelves to be a foot shorter than what he originally built. So the finished version of this prototype will have 4 shelves ranging from 5′ to 7′ in length, instead of 6′ to 8′.

We are also going to modify the configuration of the cables slightly. It’s the kind of thing that probably needed to be seen in the space, with the actual materials in place. It would be fine as originally designed, but I think the look with the adjustment we’re going to make will make it even better. The arms aren’t even in the photo, but this was a look at the revised cable configuration, which we’ll complete when we put in the shelves. Wood should be finished and we’ll take a second turn at getting it all put together later this coming week.

Advertisements